so, i baked STEAM MOIST CAKE for mother's day (: this cake was highly raved by many of the blogger. i decided to try it. though my pics did not do justice to the cake, i must say, the cake is SUPERB! it does not at all taste like a steamed cake. the texture of the cake is so moist and fluffy! the chocolaty fudge goes well too. but if you're a chocolaty person like me, you may want to increase the chocolate-ness of the fudge :D
|simple cake with piping of rose and topped with strawberries (:|
|my mumand my two nephews (:|
|yes, my first attempr on valrhona and is awesome! (:|
- 150g unsalted butter
- 170g fine sugar
- 200ml evaporated milk (i used fresh milk)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g plain flour
- 70g cocoa powder (I used Valrhona Brand)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Combine sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla essence and butter in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter has melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cooled mixture and stir till well mixed.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till smooth. (Batter should be runny).
- Heat up the steamer. Lined and grease a 7" baking pan. Pour the batter into prepared pan and place into the steamer. Cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Steam over medium heat for 45 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer into the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If not, steam for a further 5 minutes.
- Cool the cake in pan before turning out for frosting.
- 35g cocoa powder (i used valrhona), sifted
- 50gm corn flour, sifted
- 1 cup evaporated milk (i used fresh milk)
- 2 egg yolks
- 175ml water
- 120g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g unsalted butter
- Mix all ingredients well (except the butter. stir over double boiler at low heat till thickened. (takes abt 10mins to thicken)
- Add butter, turn off fire and stir till the butter melts.
- Spread the warm fudge over the cake to coat evenly.
- Chill the cake in the fridge before serving.
Also, Gert from My Kitchen Snippets is hosting a giveaway. Do hop over and participate to join in the fun (: Closing date is 17 May 2011 (: